RECOGNIZE THE HAZARDS
- Mobile devices (cell phone, tablet, laptop, etc.)
- Navigation devices
- Radio/CD/MP3 player
- Roadside emergencies (crashes, stopped vehicles, etc.)
- Road signs
- Vehicles in adjacent lanes
- Sun glare
- Talking or texting
- Eating and drinking
- Talking to passengers
- Festering on family or work issues
- Taking controlled substances and/or over- the-counter cold medications
KNOW THE DEFENSE
- Program navigation device and radio before driving.
- Be well rested.
- Put mobile devices away before driving.
- Send calls to voicemail.
- Pull over if feeling ill or fatigued.
- Set up a call-in schedule with dispatch and family.
- Wait to return calls until parked in a safe location.
- Do not bring pets on trips.
- Reduce speed by 2-3 mph to increase perception and reaction time.
- Obey all traffic laws, DOT regulations, and company policies.
- Keep both hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
- Make quick glances to mirrors and road signs.
- Avoid caffeine and energy drinks.
- Do not drive while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.
- Wear polarized sunglasses and use the sun visor.
- Clean the windshield.
- Drive protectively to defend against other distracted drivers.
Note: These lists are not intended to be all-inclusive.
The information in this article is provided as a courtesy of Great West Casualty Company and is part of the Value-Driven® Company program. Value-Driven Company was created to help educate and inform insureds so they can make better decisions, build a culture that values safety, and manage risk more effectively. To see what additional resources Great West Casualty Company can provide for its insureds, please contact your safety rep, or click here to find an agent.
© Copyright Great West Casualty Company 2017. The material in this publication is the property of Great West Casualty Company unless otherwise noted and may not be reproduced without its written consent by any person other than a current insured of Great West Casualty Company for business purposes. Insured should attribute use as follows: “Used with permission by Great West Casualty Company.”
This material is intended to be a broad overview of the subject matter and is provided for informational purposes only. Great West Casualty Company does not provide legal advice to its insureds, nor does it advise insureds on employment-related issues. Therefore, the subject matter is not intended to serve as legal or employment advice for any issue(s) that may arise in the operations of its insureds. Legal advice should always be sought from the insured’s legal counsel. Great West Casualty Company shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any loss, action, or inaction alleged to be caused directly or indirectly as a result of the information contained herein.