PRE-TRIP VEHICLE INSPECTION
Before operating your truck, inspect the mirrors for the following:
- Broken or defective parts.
- Secure attachment to the tractor.
- Proper alignment.
CRASH PREVENTION TECHNIQUES
Use your mirrors to help you prevent the following types of crashes:
- While maintaining proper following distance with traffic ahead, make frequent, quick glances to the mirrors to monitor traffic around the truck. Return your focus to the traffic ahead immediately.
- Use the mirrors to monitor the space around the truck.
- Be mindful of vehicles in your blind spots.
- In conjunction with other lane change crash prevention techniques, monitor your mirrors until the maneuver is completed.
The information in this article is provided as a courtesy of Great West Casualty Company and is part of the Value-Driven® Company program. Value-Driven Company was created to help educate and inform insureds so they can make better decisions, build a culture that values safety, and manage risk more effectively. To see what additional resources Great West Casualty Company can provide for its insureds, please contact your safety representative, or click below to find an agent.
© Great West Casualty Company 2022. The material in this publication is the property of Great West Casualty Company unless otherwise noted and may not be reproduced without its written consent by any person other than a current insured of Great West Casualty Company for business purposes. Insured should attribute use as follows: “© Great West Casualty Company 2022. Used with permission by Great West Casualty Company.”
This material is intended to be a broad overview of the subject matter and is provided for informational purposes only. Great West Casualty Company does not provide legal advice to its insureds, nor does it advise insureds on employment-related issues. Therefore, the subject matter is not intended to serve as legal or employment advice for any issue(s) that may arise in the operations of its insureds. Legal advice should always be sought from the insured’s legal counsel. Great West Casualty Company shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any loss, action, or inaction alleged to be caused directly or indirectly as a result of the information contained herein.